Agression to all strangers

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

chirpie

Agression to all strangers

Post by chirpie »

Hi I posted a while back - having problems with my rescue dog (formerly a stray) and visitors to the house - barking, lunging at them etc.. we have been trying to work on this as much as possible but have largely resorted to having him in another room when people call round or sending him to kennels if they stay over as we dont have the sort of home where he can easily stay seperate. Lately (the last week) this behaviour has generalised to people we meet on the street if they come too close - with no warning he will leap at them barking crazily. Obviously this is a massive problem as he sounds really ferocious and I feel he would bite if not on the lead - either way it makes it impossible for people to stop and chat on the street (we live in a very small village where most chat is social interaction is carried out in the lanes or on the green).
No longer know what to do about this problem and cant really afford a behaviouralist - any further advice? I have read the scaredy dog book which made alot of sense but we dont know many people willing to act as practice people to work with the dog.
Am desperate to find an answer to this as I am five months pregnant and worried he might become increasingly dangerous to be around.
other than this he is a lovely affectionate dog and with me I would trust him in any situation.
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

For reference, I found your original post here: http://www.victoriastilwell.com/phpBB2/ ... hp?p=21534

I used the methods in the Scaredy Dog book without asking people to help. I would see people on our walks and start training there and then (sit, watch me, treat, look at person, watch me, treat). Once the person passed, as long as they weren't beyond his threshold, we would continue on our way. If he was beyond threshold I would turn and take him another direction.

I live in a big city so my situation is different than yours, but I want to offer you encouragement as well. You did say that you live in a small village and people chat, etc., so have you actually asked anyone to help, or are you assuming they won't be willing?

Did you check on the other things in Scaredy Dog, such as looking at his diet and possibly changing his food to something healthier, a vet check, etc.? I am not an expert so I'm not offering any training advice, just letting you know what is working for me, and to offer encouragement - don't give up, I've been working with my dog for 8 months, and it's a slow process but it's possible to turn things around. You're going to have a baby in a few months, so do you have a partner who can help train the dog when the time comes for you to focus on baby? I hope others can chime in. Best of luck.
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

I don't really live in a "big" city like Noobs, but it isn't exactly a "village," either. At any rate, people tend to be more standoffish here in the U.S.-- strangers don't usually stop to chat with each other, as a general rule. "Hey," or "Good morning" as we pass from a distance is about as friendly as it gets here. This is quite helpful in dealing with my dogs, since when I see someone coming, I take them off the path, or even across the street, so we can pass at a greater distance. Most of the time my dogs are fine with that, but even on the seldom times they react, we are far enough away, (and I've got a firm enough grip on the leads) that it's okay-- and I just try not think about how rude the other people think I am.

As for visitors to your home, have you tried taking the dog outside to meet your guests before bringing them into the house? Sometimes that works better in the dog's mind. When the guest knocks on the door, step out to exchange hugs and how-do-you-dos, explaining about the dog-- any reasonable guest will be quite willing to accommodate greeting the dog this way, if it helps him to behave and keeps everyone safe. After you've had your hugs, leave your guests waiting outside while you go in and get the dog. Then bring the dog out on lead, and introduce him to the guests slowly. Make sure your guests understand they are to stay back, and let you and the dog approach them, not the other way around. However, do not force the dog to approach the guests, or to accept petting, if he does not seem happy about it. At my house, we've found the dogs to be more accepting if we give our guests a treat to offer the dog when the dog comes over to sniff them.
Angela

Post by Angela »

Hi Chirpie, which area do you live in? If I'm near I'd be happy to be a stooge visitor if it'll help :)
chirpie

agression to strangers

Post by chirpie »

Thanks all for your comments on my dog - i live in Oxon Anglea so i guess that is a little far. Have been trying out just using the scaredy dog techniques when people are passing by and he does now seem to look at me more for a treat when he sees someone which helps distract him from his fear. In general he is OK walking past people as long as they dont look as if they are going to touch either me or him - find it so hard to stop people going to stroke him before asking...
Will keep at it and let you all know how he goes.
C
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

What very rude people to touch a dog without asking. That isn't helping you at all.

Can you get a little coat made up with "under training do not touch" or something similar on it? If too hot for the dog, you could wear a waistcoat with a suitable slogan.

Otherwise you will just have to be quick and sassy. :twisted:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Cracker

Post by Cracker »

I agree a vest could be a good idea.
I also agree that quick and sassy is the way to go.

A sharp CAREFUL! or She's in training please dont touch her. Atleast startles the person into pulling back. Which can give you a chance to explain and possibly enlist the person for a moment into your reinforcement plans.

Personally, if a person is walking by I keep the dog on the non person side to block the person making attempts to touch. Sometimes, say on a busy sidewalk this is not possible,then I duck into a doorway to avoid overloading the dog or step aside and work on focus.
Maggi Burtt
Tailspin Petworx

[img]http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq216/tailspinpetworx/Picture010-1.jpg[/img]
Horace's Mum

Post by Horace's Mum »

I have had similar problems with my rescue. We are getting there, but I am still careful when we walk past strangers, and when people greet my dog. I thought about going down the vest route, but I got so used to being extra-aware of people that I never got round to it. My dog is deaf so I have to be even more aware in case people creep up behind him, but I used to work him past every person. To begin with i would stop, ask him to sit, and block him from the person while treating and asking "watch me". Then we started walking past on a tight heel (short but not tight lead, but he had to closely heel, using cheese to begin with to keep him focussed). Then I stopped asking for such a tight heel and gave him a little more lead, but we walked wide around people. He very rarely reacts to people now, unless they are walking strange or looking suspicious.

As far as people greeting are concerned, I worked very hard on this because me dog would bite. We set up a routine where I met a person, asked them to stand still with their hands down, tell them what I would do, then send my dog over to say hello, allow him to sniff, and recall him straight back. Then he would sent to say hello again if he wanted to, most of the time he wouldn't bother. This routine lets him know that I am in control, he doesn't need to worry about that person because I have said they are ok, and allows him to relax a bit more. It has taken a lot of work and time to drill this in, but he never meets anyone without me inviting him to go over - if anyone approaches then I call him away before they can touch him and say "hang on a minute, I just have to let him know you are ok to say hello to".

It has paid off - this weekend he went to say hello to someone who immediately put his arm straight over the top of his head - big no-no cos that blocks his sight and used to induce aggressive panic. This time, he tensed but then just ducked his head and looked at me, and I was able to call him away and reward him. I was so proud!
Last edited by Horace's Mum on Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Horace's Mum wrote: It has paid off - this weekend he went to say hello to someone who immediately put his arm straight over the top of his head - big no-no cos that blocks his sight and used to induce aggressive panic. This time, he tened but then just ducked his head and looked at me, and I was able to call him away and reward him. I was so proud!
Congrats for this! The first time that Murphy looked at me instead of tensing up after seeing someone approach to within 10 feet of us, I nearly cried. :D