urine odour

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

elaine

urine odour

Post by elaine »

Has anyone got any advice on how to eliminate the smell of urine on both carpets and paving slabs. I have tried lots of different things including biological washing liquid, white vinegar, jeyes fluid, etc but with no results. :(
marquess32

puppy wee

Post by marquess32 »

I would be hugely grateful if someone could give me some tips on how to eliminate puppy wee smell. We just got out pup at the weekend and naturally he's still learning to control where he releases himself. I have notice though that he will go to the places where he last peed on and wonder if there's something I can use to clear the smell so he can't trace it back?

Thanks everyone,

M
Will & Maria
Sam-chan

Post by Sam-chan »

elaine: Are the cleaners you're using containing ammonium? That might be causing a problem as ammonium is present in dog urine. Unfortunately the only incidents I've had with our pup were on tiles, and that is easy to clean up. The best I can suggest is making a paste out of biological powder for the carpet and rub it in, wait a couple of minutes (not too long!) and then clean it out thoroughly. Carpet has a bigger surface area, allowing it to absorb more urine so it's harder work to clean up.

marquess: It's canine nature to use a particular spot. As I have mentioned, ammonium, while an effective cleaner in many cases, is present in dog urine, and will entice your dog into weeing there again. Once you've cleaned it with an ammonium-free cleaner wash it with warm water with a few drops of citronella mixed in. While citronella smells nice to us, it will deter dogs from that spot.
Last edited by Sam-chan on Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vanuva
Site Admin

Post by vanuva »

I've had good luck with something called 'Simple Solution.' I think I got it at a big pet store, and it worked pretty well, but I really had to douse the area several times. I'd bought a new house that was carpeted and had cat pee everywhere (worse than dog pee, IMO). We stripped the carpets out and poured the solution on the concrete floor several days in a row. Pretty non-descript container. Good luck!
marquess32

urine smell

Post by marquess32 »

thank you thank you! I will certainly try the warm water and citronella trick after cleaning up.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Maria
Will & Maria
elaine

Post by elaine »

Thanks everyone. The problem is the smell only though not the dogs going back there to wee, as they are now fully toilet trained thank god. :D