rescuing(adopting) and rescuing (saving from pet shops)

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

dustyhelp

rescuing(adopting) and rescuing (saving from pet shops)

Post by dustyhelp »

i have adopted most of my animals from shelters except for my 11 year old tabby cat, and ive only bought small animals (cockatiel and mice) from the pet store.
I think that rescuing from shelters is the best thing i can do, but what about rescuing an animal from a pet shop?
there is a pet store near my house that recently got ratted out over the radio about getting their puppies from puppy mills and other operations like those. i completely agree. the store also brags about having 60 (not kidding, direct quote) different breeds of puppies and in my opinion have tiny cages for them. they put 2 or 3 puppies in a cage about 3' x 4'x 4' feet with wired bottoms (if even that big of a cage). for the bigger puppies (labs, mastiffs, mt dogs, Pyrenees) its only 2 times that.
ive always felt that someone needs to rescue them from there, from being put in cramped places all day, everyday.

is it wrong to think that?

whats your opinion?
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

Rescuing puppies and dogs from puppymillers is always a good thing. The caveat is that Pet Stores in and of themselves are not puppy millers. Rescuing the the dogs from pet stores still rewards puppymills who supply the dogs to the store.

The best thing you can do to pet stores is to let everyone know exactly where their puppies come from. Let people understand what puppymillers do and then not purchase their pups from puppy millers and likewise not from pet stores.

Better education of the public in what to look for from reputable breeders.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I have an alternative view - doesn't mean either of us is right or wrong, just offers a different perspective.

Every pup "saved" by being bought from a pet shop or puppy mill creates business for bad breeders. All the while they have their market from those of us wishing to 'do good' they will carry on breeding and selling inferior animals, a large proportion of which will end up in shelter or PTS because there aren't enough good homes for all the needy animals. On the way, some of these will traumatise other animals/people and cause other problems. The bad breeders laugh all the way to the bank.

Every pup bought from a good breeder becomes an ambassador of the breed and of dogs in general. This also supports those who put great care into the breeding and rearing of their pups.

In an ideal world (yes I know) we would all buy from good breeders, the bad breeders would go out of business and pet shops would no longer sell their puppies. If there was no market for bad stock, the puppy millers would find another way to make a living.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Cracker

Post by Cracker »

The petstores and puppy millers count on the thoughts that you are having right now.

Getting a pup from a shop is NOT rescuing a pup, it is supplying business to the millers. As much as it is difficult, as those pups deserve a home as much as any other, you must not fall victim to the psychological blackmail that this is. It contributes to the problem.

If you do want to help..look for pups that have been rescued by an organization that has seized pups from mills because then the mills take a loss on it rather than profiting. Or join an organization that works to get legislation in place to change the industry or who works to close down the mills altogether.
Maggi Burtt
Tailspin Petworx

[img]http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq216/tailspinpetworx/Picture010-1.jpg[/img]
Missymay

Post by Missymay »

I work the other side and can tell you what generally happens to unbought petstore puppies here in the states.

The petstore owner is not going to take a loss on the merchandise. The dogs are returned to the mill.

What happens to them there depends on the miller. Some are sold to the public at large at a reduced price, some are kept by the mill for breeding and some are released to rescue.

Buying any dog from a pet store is feeding the cycle of misery. As long as there are people willing to do so, mills will continue to thrive.
Kim and Asher

“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotionâ€