Does your dog wear clothes?

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Fundog

Does your dog wear clothes?

Post by Fundog »

I gotta tell you all a little story. We have a chihuahua (sp?) next door, named Chewy. The other day Chewy was out in his yard wearing a little shirt to keep him warm, since we are actually having winter this year. Well, my very fluffy, double-coated Annie was outside barking at Chewy. My son finally guessed that she might be jealous (?), so he called her inside and found one of his own t-shirts to put on her. Evidently, that is what she wanted, because Annie "helped" him put it on her by raising her paws and stepping into it-- EAGERLY! Then she ran outside to show Chewy that she was just as fashionable as he was. Lol, silly dog-- what a dork! My son ended up taking her for a walk in her t-shirt, and he said she was holding her head up and prancing around as though she was proud of herself. Too funny. I sleep days and work nights, so I missed the whole thing.

But on the other hand... We are having a very rare and generous snow storm in our region (the desert southwest). So tonight I took Annie to the park (being 11 at night, we had it all to ourselves) for a romp in the snow. She had a ball! When we came back into the house, she had big snowflakes on her coat, so I used a towel to dry her off. As soon as I finished, she ran back outside (through her doggy flap) for only a minute-- just long enough to replace the snowflakes I had removed. Evidently, she was perfectly happy pretending to be a snow dog. Lol, she's a funny girl.
Missymay

Post by Missymay »

My poms do not usually wear clothing, except for the occasional photo op or a snazzy bandana, but the pug has an assortment of sweaters and jog suits to keep her warm in the cold weather. I also tend to put sweaters or coats on any chi fosters I get this time of year.
Kim and Asher

“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotionâ€
deerewife

Post by deerewife »

Boo, my 4lb toy poodle wears a winter coat and is getting boots for Christmas. I finally found ones that are small enough, if he stands on a quarter you can see the edges of the quarter all the way around. This week we have had temps well below 0F with windchills around -30. His poor little feet freeze so fast! Other than that he has a t-shirt that says "Dear Santa, The cat did it!" that he wears sometimes when hubby turns the thermostat way down and I'm making him a robe to wear after his bath. He really hates being cold.

Gunther our GSD just has bandanas, he loves the cold and playing in the snow.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

All my dogs have waterproof coats for when it is raining, that is for me not them, drying 6 dogs can be a nightmare.

Joe, JRT/Whippet, Merlin, Greyhound, Gracie Staffy/Cairn and Ellie, Staffy all wear double fleece coats in the winter and have fleece lined waterproof coats for winter, their summer waterproofs are cotton lined as are Bonnie and Tilly's but these 2 wear these in the winter to keep them dry.

The 4 that wear coats in the cold weather also have several jumpers or housecoats to keep them warm as well.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Cracker

Post by Cracker »

When I first got Cracker I refused to do the "clothes thing"...I respect others wanting to do it but it just wasn't my style...but...
Our first winter together was brutally cold with the wind chill and since Miss C spends up to 6 hours a day outside with me when I walk my client's dogs I broke down. I looked everywhere for an affordable coat that would fit her..no luck. She's built like a foxhound, long body, very deep and broad chest so they were all either too "narrow" through the shoulders or too short in the body.

So I headed to my tickle trunk and found some fabric and made her a coat. It's coral pink nylon with floral fleece on the inside and neck and fits her well..it took a bit of work getting the fit right and now she looks like she's wearing a dress lol. You can see the fleece peeking out at the back like a flounce..again, not my style (I'm a bit of a tomboy) but the more she wears it the more I like it. Now I consider it a prototype of which I will make more...I think my dog is going to end up being a real fashionista. Most people think she is a boy due to her muscular build..but there's no doubting she's a girl in her winter coat. LOL. I've even had people suggest I should make and sell them. Maybe someday..I don't enjoy sewing THAT much..lol.

I draw the line at boots though. For my own sanity and fiscal protection. I use a paw protector cream instead. I think I would end up constantly replacing the boots as they get lost in the deep snow. Go in with four and come back with three.
Maggi Burtt
Tailspin Petworx

[img]http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq216/tailspinpetworx/Picture010-1.jpg[/img]