Tired of stepping in pee! Please give advice!!!

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

i_are_chanel

Tired of stepping in pee! Please give advice!!!

Post by i_are_chanel »

Charlie has a problem. He likes to pee in the house. It is not a regular occurance however. It happens maybe once a week. So is this a marking problem? He is only 7 months old, so we havent gotten him neutered yet (we moved out of state before we had the chance, and we havent had a chance to find a vet in our new home). I know that neutering will help with this, but in the meantime, what are the steps I can take to help solve this issue? He doesn't lift his leg to pee, ever, and I have actually seen him mark once....we were sitting outside and he heard a dog barking and he immediately peed and walked in a line in front of me...drawing a line of pee in front of me. We were outside, so i figured better outside than in. Put when he pees in the house it isnt always in a line.....it is usually in a puddle. He's potty trained. He will go sit by the door and stare me down when he has to go. He use to scratch at the door, but in our new home he doesnt do that much. I usually find the pee by stepping in it, or I hear the pee hitting the floor and catch him mid-act. And if I yell "Charlie!" He runs immediately to his kennel....He knows he is in trouble.
I am not sure if I should spank him for his behavior or just lock him in the kennel. I don't bother to get him out to yell at him if he's already in there....(but i do make it a point to tell him he's a bad boy while locking the door)......if he runs straight to time out, he knows he has done something wrong.....But how do I keep him from peeing in the house until I get a chance to get him neutered???? And afterwards, in case he has already developed a pattern/habit of marking, how to I reinforce him not doing it???
Please help! I am tired of stepping in pee!
Lexi-3/4 golden retriever + 1/4 black lab. Bday Dec 1st 2007.

Charlie-long haired chihuahua + dauchsand + papillion. Bday Feb 29th 2008.