Kicking after going toilet

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

cassiesloveableowner

Kicking after going toilet

Post by cassiesloveableowner »

Hi!!!!! I have a question. Do any of your dogs kick the grass after he/she goes to the bathroom outside? Well, mine does it a lot. Is this normal behaveor for a dog? If so, why do they do it? :?

Thanks,

cassiesloveableowner
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

That is a normal behavior. I am guessing though it a reasons to do with scent marking.
Yoshi

Post by Yoshi »

My Xavier does this after he poos, and my uncle's Yorkie does this after having a wee. I've read that it's possible they do this to scent mark, or it could just be them wanting to bury it. Can anyone clarify this?
~J.C.
Future Groomer ^-^
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

If mine are trying to bury they sure are throw dirt and debris in the wrong direction LOL
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

It's normal. It raises the scent profile, so the next dogs passing by can 'read all about it'.

Pee and poo are waste products to us, but to dogs they are important communication.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
thistledown

Post by thistledown »

Mine usually cocks her leg when she wees, and that is often followed by a good assertive stamp/kick in a "see what you make to that, losers!" posture. We call it her Power Wee.

When she actually meets another dog face to face she is quite submissive, but she wees like a gladiator. :)
praline

Post by praline »

WOW my lab has been doing this every day for 10 years!
We always laugh and say she is so well mannered she is washing and wiping her paws after using the bathroom! :lol:

Never knew why she did it, just thought she was a bit weird! :roll:
dobiemuse

Post by dobiemuse »

Love the way my dobie does it since he can kick real high! They all made a point to do this, but he does it with a lot of flourish! :)
PitBullLove

Post by PitBullLove »

And after 16 years of owning dogs, every once in a while, I'm stupid enough to try to pick up their poop immediately after and I get dirt kicked in my face. lol
puglvr

Post by puglvr »

i used to think that my cat just picked up the habbit from watching my cat after going to the bathroom. :lol:
K9S R GR8!

Pugs are like potato chips, you cant just have one!
pooch_love

our dog does to

Post by pooch_love »

our dog dude always does this. He will do it when he pees and poos. he is very territorial but he is friendly so I think he is just marking his territory. He always trys spraying mail boxes, and post....even though we have been working on that and now he doesn't seem interested as much! :D
roxxysgirl

Post by roxxysgirl »

OMG my dog is actually normal for doing this.

Ive had few dogs before this one and have never seen a dog do this before her, its good to know shes not coo--coo for coco puffs
MaiasMom

Post by MaiasMom »

It's a way for them to scatter their scent. the dog next door does and causes my boy dogs to go nuts, sort of funny really. My girl does not do this. Just my boys.
The best days are spent with my dogs.
Ulrike

Post by Ulrike »

Aaron even do this when there is no pee or poo. He kicks the dirt about 10 m. He turns round while doing it sometimes - and hits me :roll:.
Sometimes a dog is just a dog.
Bingles

Post by Bingles »

lol Bingles does this I thought she was being hygenic and burying it lol