What are your other pets??

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Monkey

What are your other pets??

Post by Monkey »

I have a feeling here that even if we are first and foremost dogmaniacs, what other pets do you have?? I am a horder at heart and have to stop myself to not get too many. So except for two dogs of my own, one foster, I had a rat, she passed away a month ago at the age of about 2,5 years old. She was a petstore rat that LIKED water (weird rat). Here is a photo of her:

I also have my pet bearded dragon Hercules, first she was named Xena cause I thought it was a girl, however the head has grown wider, beard is already on the way so I am fairly sure he is a Hercules. He is absolutely insane, I ran out of crickets, so now he is running and chasing the dogs cause he is hungry. I gave him some sallad but he is so young that he isnt too fond of them yet. He is the best bearded, very calm, he interacts with me a lot all ready, not scared of anything..

Mine is the bigger one, the smaller one is my friends :)

So what do you have except for dogs?
The problem is in the other end of the leash!
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Ferrets and hens, but obviously not together! :D
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
cassiesloveableowner

Post by cassiesloveableowner »

I have two cats and four hermit crabs!! Im also getting chickens and a leperd gecko. :mrgreen: What an odd mix of pets...........

cassiesloveableowner
Mollysmom

Post by Mollysmom »

I have a kitty cat!

He's Grey and White and when I adopted him his little kitten tail had been broken in three places, the most noticable break and heal was about two inches from the tip of his tail... so he looks like those big old Tom Cat's in cartoons with the tail tipped at a 45degree angle at the tip.

The shelter we got him from had called him Porsche... :roll:
We renamed him Tank, and he's a big boy now.

we've had fish off and on, but I keep killing the poor blighters and don't have the heart to flush another pet so I've stopped getting fish :(

We're still renting so the rest of our fur-babies will have to wait until we can talk the landlady into selling us this property or we move. We've wanted ferrets for years. However I think we'll probably get another pup first.

(bah! edited to thwart debug)
~* Proud Mommy of a Mix Breed *~
[url=http://www.myspace.com/mollymae2004]Molly's Myspace Page[/url]
"If your dog doesn't like someone you probably shouldn't either." - Unknown
dobiemuse

Post by dobiemuse »

I've had hamsters and a guinea pig when I was small. I've usually had fish of all sorts throughout my life (including a 16 inch koi who guarded my room from my water hating pup :lol: ). I had a sweet kitty who loved dogs (since she ruled over them and they accepted it) but hated other cats. I really miss her.

Currently, I just have a betta named Mr. Spot since he has one black spot on his body. My mom got him after I lost my last betta who lived for 5 years. She said she couldn't stand me not having a fish in my life.

Other than Mr. Spot, I currently just have the pups. :)
Chloe&Atlas'smom

Post by Chloe&Atlas'smom »

I have 2 cats. Booger is a siamese who is very haughty, and Molly, who isn't a visitor cat, she hides alot..
I have had 2 other pits, a keeshound, a cockapoo, and an alaskan husky throughout my life along with all kinds of fish and more cats than I can think of here.
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

Beside the dogs, we have 2 cats AJ and Testy and currently 6 foster kitten El, Claire, Nikki, Sylar, Noah, and Micah......We name our fosters at a given time after characters in tv shows we like.

Thus far we have done:
Dr Who
Torchwood
Babylon5
X-men

And now of course is Heroes
Michelle S

Post by Michelle S »

We have 2 fish tanks that have African Chiclids.

I'd love to get a cat but the hubby is allergic.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Currently asides from four dogs...

1 tank of little fish (threadfin rainbows, cheetah danios, ottocinclus and a juvenile banjo cat).

1 big tank of bigger (not much though) fish - boesmani rainbows, lake kutubu rainbows, congo tetras, golden pencil fish, corydoras cats, a rescued albino red finned shark, and odds and bods of previous incarnations of this tank, so a few black widow tetras and some black neons and some silver tipped tetras.

The theres two cages of rats - bachelors Lenny and Henry, who love each other dearly but fight like a married couple at times..

And the girly cage - Vermin Villas - huuuuuuuuuuuuuge cage (four foot tall by 3 wide by 2 deep).. 8 girlie rats and they are Very Very Naughty Rats Indeed.

Funny to watch their interactiosn both with their own species and wiht the dogs though - Rocky ignores the girls, they are bad and he knows it (will bite noses etc but they are not aggressive... just curious)..

The boys though - Len is very aggressive and displays this in normal ratty style... huffing and puffing, fur on end like a bog brush and 'body slamming' (using his bum to slam his opponent sideways).... he did this to rocky (cage in between them!) and rocky very clearly understood that Len meant business and meant to do him harm!

So.. dogs rats n fish - ive also had giant african land snails, mice, hamsters, shrimp, giant shrimp, mastacembelid eels (not really eels, eel shaped fish), ponies on loan.... hedgehogs stopping by for a winter hotel....

Bit animal mad here!
i_luv_my_pups

Post by i_luv_my_pups »

i've had birds, and cats but am currently hooked on horses (2), fish (5), and OF COURSE DOGS! no offence Monkey but there is no way i would ever own a rat. i can do mice, but rats? no way!
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Dis iz Emz ratz ere....... we iz jus misunnerstoodz innit!

Er... yes, rats are lovely interesting fings, very very capable of learning a lot (one of the reasons they are used for psycological testing is because they can learn so well) - rats can be clicker trained and respond very well to reward based training, in fact we owe a lot of our current understanding of how learning works and which methods work best, to rats.

So have a thought for the lowly verminous rattus rattus,

This is Groove, now at the Rainbow Bridge (vermin department)...

"I iz hardz at werk!"

"Gotz to check de polishy cloffs"

"Measure twice, cutz wunce!"

"Kwolliteeee kontroll... dis iz being why we usez der leatherz. Man made productz too eezy to munch froo! (and not so tasties!)"

And Moose, also at the Rainbow bridge now..

"I gotted u a mins pie... but i eated it"

Wots not to love!
joji732

Post by joji732 »

Haven't gotten the dog yet (it's a matter of days at this point) but I am the proud owner of a tomato frog (not the endangered kind), an african clawed frog and some kind of catfish.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

ARGH ASBO ratties!!!!! :shock:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
lablver2

Post by lablver2 »

Well I had 4 frogs before I got Belgian. A friend moved to New York and couldn't take the frogs so I took them in. I had them actually for a while. All of them were dead I think the year after I got Belgian. They didn't die all at the same time though. They were little frogs though that lived underwater. I don't know the name though.

They were named

Frogger
Fatso
Skinny
Tiger

My favorite though was Frogger. He actually lived the longest.

I am not a good fish owner though.

I have had a total of 3 goldfishes. My first one Flame died after 2 days of owning him. I won him at a fair so I hear that's not the best way to acquire a fish. The second one was a gift and was named Flounder. He died after a few months of owning him. Actually funny story on how he died. We got a third fish named Ashley. The two lived together for about a month. One day I came home and Ashley decided to eat Flounder. Poor Flounder was dead and I had a fish that just kept growing. Well Flounder lived as a single fish for about 3 months and after I cleaned her aquarium she died. She was fine when it was dirty then I cleaned it and boom it died.

I think I am gonna stick to dogs.
Belgian: 6 year old English Chocolate Labrador Retriever.
"The more boys I meet, the more I love my dog"-Carrie Underwood
joji732

Post by joji732 »

Lablvr -

Those frogs that lived underwater were probably African Clawed frogs - did you ever notice if they had little claws on their back feet?