Drunk men and one angry Midnight, Oh boy!!

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Monkey

Drunk men and one angry Midnight, Oh boy!!

Post by Monkey »

Now Im gonna test to fool the forum error, so I write a small post, and see if it lets me create it. then Ill take edit and add my text!! *is genius*

I really wonder what people think with.. seriously...
I was standing at one of my training spots, it is a spot where I can go closer to the road and away from the road to work with Midnight but the road is always visible. This to work with his lunging, at first I had no hot dogs, we have been working without treats for a while and it is working decent. Anyhow he is sitting nicely to me and we are maybe 8 feet from the road when two drunk guys are walking by from 7/11 with beer in their hands. Midnight emidately threw himself towards them, snarling, growling, barking, foaming, and honestly he looks impressive when he does it (sorry I know Im bad) one of the guys realize his misstake and move out of the way as I am hauling in Midnight the other one comes CLOSER, he was like 5 feet from him telling me he wants to PET HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im DUDE, he will bite you..
The guy goes: he's georgus I wanna pet him.
I tell him: he's aggressive, he's scared leave

we have this debate for a couple of minutes, til I call to him in spanish PELIGROSA!!! which means warning (I think, read that in a book several years ago) his friend appolguised.

Ok fine, Midnight was snarling but I could see he was curious too, likely are that if he had got contact with the mant hat he would have shifted as soon as it happened and been wanting cuddles... However, if the man had freaked and done something chances are Midnight would have bit as quick too..

But what IS IT with drunk people??? Im sorry if I saw a 120 lbs dog like that towards me, no I would not try to pet it. It's INSANE...

However, on the good side, Midnight calmed down quickly..

His reactions needs stronger triggers, and I can do voice corrections a lot of the times and he stops and like Oh yeah I dont need to lunge on the car. Its a LOT of reflex in him than real fear now adays....

I went to 7/11 and bought hot dogs and after that he didnt lunge at all and I havent used hot dogs in a while. He behaved perfect the whole walk after that. He even said hi to a couple of guys, when I had the hot dog in hand he walks by them like they don't exist, and I stopped and talked to them and he was already next to them so that didn't bother him at all.

It is the surprise momentum and that when he discovers them that they are too close to be comfortable with, but not close enough to check out, so if I do it right I have a small window where nothing happens and that is the window I try to catch which we succeed with here and there. He really likes people..

All and all Im very happy with his progress, but that drunk guy, he took the prize of most stupid person of the week!!

Before and after shot, I saw them next to eachothe ron my photobucket.
One is 22nd of April a couple of days after arrival, the other one is 28th of June.. He is so sweet, and noone wants him :(

Last edited by Monkey on Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
The problem is in the other end of the leash!
Monkey

Post by Monkey »

IT WORKED!!! EUREKA!

Prior when I tried it gave me shutdown error and no post appeared cause it was too much at once or so (that is what it seemed) but now it worked YAY!!
Chloe&Atlas'smom

Post by Chloe&Atlas'smom »

I am so glad Midnight is getting better at lunging. I get what you mean about drunk people! I love the pics too, what a difference love and attention makes, huh?
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

WOW what a change in him.

Well done, thanks to you he is getting there.

It isn't just drunks, I was in the vets last week with Joe, he has been attacked so many times in the past he now has panic attacks that often lead to seizures.

This stupid woman comes in with her Boxer on an extending lead which she didn't lock so her dog walks towards Joe. I stepped in front of Joe and said to her that he wasn't good with dog. I am sure you can guess what she said. :twisted:

"My dog is fine with dogs" grrrrrrr

"My dog isn't and you are in the right place if yours get bitten". I walked towards her dog to block him from Joe. She gave me a dirty look and pulled her dog back.

All the people in the waiting room were laughing and the staff trying their hardest not to laugh. It seems the staff have been waiting for someone to tell this woman because she lets her dog go up to everyone. I later found out that they were pleased to see her come through the door when I was at the desk, they knew I would say something :lol:
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
MaiasMom

Post by MaiasMom »

Like I have always said "you can't fix stupid". Holy cow, if a dog is growling I sure am not going to put my hand out. Drunks, well what can I say? Thank God they were walking and not driving home.

Your boy is beautiful.
The best days are spent with my dogs.
Marley

Post by Marley »

Peligrosa means Danger
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Yup, it's not drunk that gets you in trouble, it's just plain stupid.

I've had people whistle at Murphy while he's attached to my bike running or trotting down the street. Whistle and go, "here boy!" from at least 20 feet away. a) he's not going to come to you anyway, and b) what is he supposed to do when he's attached to a bike? Idiots!

We pass a car repair shop every day a few blocks from home and the men who work there see us every day. One time one of the guys threw a little piece of steak toward Murphy. As Murphy is VERY food motivated, he went for it! So the attachment on my bike got bent back, MY BIKE SEAT got turned sideways and I almost fell off the bike. "Oh, I'm sorry, I just felt bad for him." (Why he felt bad for him I'm not sure.) All I could say was, "Well, sir, he's ON A BIKE. Please don't do that again." Why would you throw food at a dog that you don't know?? Ugh, people.

Monkey, I've been reading your posts and following your progress with Midnight. Well done to you and keep up the good work.
Monkey

Post by Monkey »

Thanks guys..

and yeah I still can't belive he was that stupid..

And Marley thank you, then it was spot on.. :D

and noobs, throwing meat to a dog that is running with a bike?!

What are people thinking with!!
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Monkey wrote: and noobs, throwing meat to a dog that is running with a bike?!

What are people thinking with!!
He didn't put his brain into gear which is quite common these days, many people put their mouths into gear before their brain and come out with some real rubbish. :lol:
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Chris

Post by Chris »

In all fairness being drunk removes you self control first, so any clear danger wouldnt register as you dirnk more and more. No way is it an excuse, but alcohol makes even the smartest people stupid. Just out of interest what breed is Midnight?

I generally hate people feeding my dog uness they are close or related to the family and even then I need to know the person well. I even snapped at my grandad once :oops: . We lost one of our shepherds to some teenagers who wanted to feed her (Zoey, the German Shepherd)...with chicken...more specifically chicken wings /sigh

Suffice to say she didnt see the next day.

Anyway congratulations with Midnight, I havent really read the forums for awhile (and I'm mainly a seedy forum lurker :lol: ) but its always nice to see people show such devotion to helping animals.