Dogs and babies

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

JudyN

Dogs and babies

Post by JudyN »

Just say you were a young couple who wanted to have a dog and a baby... What would the best timing be? My instincts would be:

1) Forget the baby, just have a dog
2) Have the baby, get the dog when the child is more or less ready to leave home, so you never realise just how much each has curtailed your freedom.

But if the young couple were less patient, I'm guessing the baby should come first (because if you got the dog first and it turned out to be a Jasper, you'd have BIG problems :wink: ), and then the dog should come when the child is more manageable and can learn not to poke it in the eye, tease it or pull its tail?

This has absolutely everything to do with the fact that DS2's fiancee came over today and we chatted about their plans for the future :D
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Nettle

Re: Dogs and babies

Post by Nettle »

The following is nothing to do with DS2 and fiance because I'm sure JudyN you would have brought him up better AND he knows Jasper...

I'd go with option 1 but option 2 is probably more realistic if one/both partners actually want a baby or are careless with their contraception.

What usually happens is:

One partner gets broody for a baby
Buys a pup because 9 months is such a long time to wait
Becomes pregnant/partner becomes pregnant. Has this fantasy about them all growing up together lalala
No preparation for the dog to live with a baby is done.
Baby arrives and is a normal baby. Suddenly there is no time or energy or will to attend to the dog's needs.
Dog starts to "misbehave".
Dog is rehomed.

Yeah - option 2 is best.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

To be honest, options 1 & 2 were a little tongue-in-cheek... I'd see option 1 as a complete no-no (and knowing Jasper, DS2 and GF would be in full agreement), and option 2 is a looooooooong time to wait.

So failing that, what is the earliest age at which a (well trained, obviously :wink: ) child can be expected to give a dog sufficient respect (always with supervision, of course), so dog, child and family can all be happy together?

Sorry I wasn't clear, Nettle - I had my knee op on Tuesday and have had the occasional dose of morphine. Which is my excuse for pretty much everything at the moment!
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I knew it was tongue in cheek 8) but nevertheless hoped others in a similar position would stop and think.....

Depends on child depends on parenting styles, depends on dog, and of course the best-trained child will have friends to visit who haven't been so well brought up, and whose parents might have - er - unrealistic expectations. But even supposing the dog has a Safe Space to go to that NOBODY can eyeball or make noise at when he is in there, I wouldn't think a child under 9 would have the continuous self-control needed to respect the dog and leave it alone when it indicates it wants this. Also a bossy child continually giving the dog commands wouldn't be a good fit for most types of dog. It really is difficult to give an age, especially as modern children don't get such an upbringing of doing what they are told.

So all in all I'm still with option 2! :lol:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Sounds good to me! :D