Do females get picked on less than males?

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ZaraD

Do females get picked on less than males?

Post by ZaraD »

Hi all

I've been wondering about something for a long time now, Lara has Never been picked on by other dogs even the same dogs who attacked or picked on Sampson are fine with lara and it does make me wonder if uts because shes a girl are females less likley to get attacked or picked on by other dogs? In my area i think it help for her that nearly all are males so shes not encouted females that often and the ones she has have been fine with her. Were poor Sampson got picked on all the time.
JudyN

Re: Do females get picked on less than males?

Post by JudyN »

Was Sampson entire?

In my experience entire males get picked on most, followed by neutered males, followed by females. Ari_RR has said that Ari would pick on any male (I think) but put females on a pedestal and worshipped them.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Yes sampson was Entire, but next door has a neutered male golden retriever whose kind to everydog but yet gets picked on a lot. So Females tend to get picked on less?
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

As I said, in my experience, yes.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Not in mine, though. It's like people - there has to be a bully and a target. It isn't gender-linked although a normal male should not pick on a normal female. Well-adjusted dogs that are confident and 'zen' don't feel the need to pick on others, and it's a very unwise bully that targets such a dog. Though they do exist! It's more about the mindset of the bully and the owner's lack of support. I can spot a potential bully a hundred yards off, and I make my move right then.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS