The monsters at the bottom of the garden

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

JudyN

The monsters at the bottom of the garden

Post by JudyN »

I gave OH a trail camera for Christmas. It takes three photos and a three-second clip of video when triggered. We have lots of photos of blurry tails moving out of shot followed by videos of nothing, and lots of photos of nothing followed by a video of a twig blowing in the breeze. But we've had some good 'hits'.

A fox - it's turning round, so as its tail is moving to the right, you can see its head and ears coming back into shot:

A panther... or possibly a black cat :lol:

And a pretty tortie cat who often wanders round out front & back garden:

Videos:

https://youtu.be/f8yPPScsayQ

https://youtu.be/4esol9iOKu4

https://youtu.be/iOyqm2IZauA

https://youtu.be/1tRm60FPcJM

If you have the sound turned on for the second vid, you'll see why the fox scarpered!

The fox (which I think is male) crosses the bottom of the garden (beyond the fence) several times a night. The tortie cat is also a regular visitor. I'm sure between them they are the reason Jasper sometimes goes berserk down the end of the garden and we can't get him back in for ages.

We also got a nice video of a pigeon, and a few more of the tortie cat. And there was an action vid of Jasper getting his bum in between the camera and the fence and having a poo, but he told me not to post that one :lol:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Erica

Re: The monsters at the bottom of the garden

Post by Erica »

Ooh, how fun! Finally, the monsters are revealed! :D Thanks for sharing. That picture of the tortie is lovely!
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

Awesome!
All kinds of secrets can be revealed, mysteries solved... just need to point in the right direction :wink:
Is this a motion-activated camera?
Ari, Rhodesian Ridgeback, Sept 2010 - Dec 2018.
Miles, Rhodesian Ridgeback, b. Nov 2018
DianeLDL

Post by DianeLDL »

JudyN,

Well, I guess this proves that Jasper really has had something to fear on the garden.
Mystery solved. It’s not a figment if his imagination! :D

This is a good lesson for all of us.
Trust that our dogs have a real sense of something that we cannot see, hear, or smell. And, trust when they let us know.

Great photos! Thanks for sharing them.
Now, I would be scared to go out to the bottom of your garden at night.

Yeah! Jasper!
And, yes, let him have his privacy when going potty! At least, he is going even with the Monsters in the Garden.
That might make an interesting children’s book......

Diane & Sandy
Sandy, Chihuahua mix b. 12/20/09
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Yes Ari, it's motion activated. Though we need to adjust it as by the time it gets to the video the animal has often exited stage left. I think we can change it to take just one photo, or take the video before the photo.

Jasper can keep up the barking for aaaaages some nights. I wouldn't be surprised if the tortie cat has worked out that he can't get to him and just sits there sticking his tongue out at him :lol:

I'd really love to see a badger. We had one in the garden many years ago but not sure if there's any still around. Oh, and a hedgehog. Our garden is pretty securely fenced and I've been asking OH to make a hedgehog tunnel for ages. If we spot one on camera he might finally get round to it.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

What a fat fluffy foxy. A few people feeding him, no doubt.

JudyN, you do NOT want a badger. It would rip up your garden, rip up your fencing and eat your potential hedgehog.

Trail cams are fun, though.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

There was a hedgehog years ago... dug a ruddy great hole under the fence between me and the neighbour. I didn't mind, my garden is a bit like a nature reserve in places, but the neighbour was not happy!

One night the cat came belting inside, ran halfway upstairs and peered through the banisters. I went outside to investigate and while I stood on the back doorstep, a badger trundled up the garden, passed within a couple of feet of the doorstep, and disappeared up the side of the house. I was thrilled! But yes, there's a badger sett in the local woods and their earthworks are quite impressive. I'd be happy as long as they stayed on their side of the fence. Or just popped in to eat our Hong Kong-like slug population.
Dibbythedog

Post by Dibbythedog »

Great photos !

I like the cat :D

We get lots of foxes here in West London.
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Iv only ever seen one fox two nights ago my pain near my hip kept me awake so i just sat on my bed looking out of my window and i saw a fox running down the road i got so excited as i have never seen a fox before except for on TV. In my local newspaper there was an artical about a Grey or i think it was black fox that had been spotted in our area in a bad way and the RSPCA have taken it in to help it recover and will release when back to good health. But the artical stood out as it said this was a very rare type of fox.

I have a hedghog that visits my garden every night i love him i have named him bertie. Mom said i should not name him as then i wont get attached. Lara loves him she keeps an eye on him from a far and if any birds or cats enter the garden she chases them away and checks on her friend the gives him space. She very protective over bertie.