What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

JudyN

Re: What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Post by JudyN »

Ah, but we're British - the right to complain about the weather being too hot/cold/wet/dry/sunny/cloudy/boring despite having much less extreme extremes than most other places in the world is written into our laws (probably) :lol:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

JudyN wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:45 pm Ah, but we're British - the right to complain about the weather being too hot/cold/wet/dry/sunny/cloudy/boring despite having much less extreme extremes than most other places in the world is written into our laws (probably) :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: , soooooo true, I think it still apply to me as I'm only half british :wink: other half native American :D
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Removed
Last edited by Lotsaquestions on Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

He's lucky to have such a thoughtful owner. 8)

Mine get a long walk in the shady woods first thing and then veg out. Too hot to do anything except wag a tail now and then.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I've made Jasper some ice lollies, by mixing the crumbs from his dried meat treats and some tiny dog treats with water, and freezing. The trouble is, I'd much rather he ate them outside than inside, for obvious reasons, and it's hotter out there than in here.
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Thank you Nettle. :D I do try my best with him, I chose him after all he had no choice in the matter! :lol:

@Judy Merlin always brings his ice lollies onto the rug, where the leftovers proceed to get stuck and I have to peel the ice off. :roll:
Erica

Post by Erica »

Moving stuff in and of course the first things in the apartment were dog stuff ;) Then a bit of food, and a set of chairs and a table that I got for cheap at the thrift store.

Since Delta's prone to what my mentor calls transition anxiety (mini-SA that only pops up in new places) we're doing some basic SA treatment exercises. This means Delta stays in the apartment while I walk out to the car, grab some stuff, and bring it in. So far so good! Next test is taking the trash out.

We're also doing Fun Stuff at the apartment, like playing gentle fetch (he's got the lightest of little footsies so I doubt my underneath-neighbors can hear him, if they're even at home during the day) and "oh here's some ice cream for you."

Delta seems to like the balcony we have. Since he likes to just sit outside, it'll be nice to let him do that somewhere safe and contained!

My next quest is to acquire a cooling bed for him since the whole dang place is carpeted (minus the kitchen and bathrooms). Great for his movement -- no slippery floors! -- but also no cold tiles to lay down on.

...I wonder how tricky it would be to just make a big slab of tile?
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Happy new home, Erica :D
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Yes - happy new home. It looks lovely in the photo.

I think I get transition SA too :lol: I take a while to feel easy about new places. Good for you for recognising it and doing something about it so it doesn't get worse.

Shalista

Post by Shalista »

yay mad jellly of that balcony! good for you!
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

All the best in your new home! I just saw a tutorial the other day for making a cooling mat for dogs. If you're interested, you could Google it. :)
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Ooo new house! All the best. I see you have all the important furniture in. :lol:

Took Merlin out last night from 7-10, was lovely and cool as the wind arrived. My god was the dog in desperate need of that walk. :lol: He ran into a dog he has a massive crush on and was just a right little sycophant. When Marley didn't want to play anymore Merlin started sliding over to him like a slug along the grass as if begging. He has no shame.

My job interview went amazingly, but I didn't get the role I applied for as there was someone with more experience than me (well, all the other 5 candidates had more experience than my 0, one with 21 years!). However they have a job coming up soon (same role) and they want to give me that one as soon as the post is made available! In theory I have a job ready for September (Teaching Assistant) though nothing is signed yet. It'll cover the mortgage /cost of living with a little left over, but I am expecting it to be tight for a year until I can begin my PGCE. I'm planning on seeing if I can get some weekend work with dogs once I've learnt to drive, then in a few years time hopefully I'll have the option of two careers.

The school is an amazing school, and I would be very lucky to be able to do my PGCE placement there. I'm also hoping the kids I'm going to be working 1-1 with do some home economics, as the food they make there is pretty gourmet. A far cry from the quiches and sausage rolls we made. :lol:
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

That is such good news, Lotsa,and I hope it all goes well. :D

Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Removed
Last edited by Lotsaquestions on Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Great news! I'm not surprised you got the job given the positivity you've shown :D