How much to feed a puppy

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

relly

How much to feed a puppy

Post by relly »

I have a 9month old kelpie/border collie cross who is not very interested in any food in the mornings and never has been. She eats her evening meal, has plenty of energyand a good coat so it doesn't seem to be affecting her. Should I try to halve her night feed and feed the other half in the morning or leave her be. I usually give her a half cup of dry food in the mornings but she hardly touches it although sometimes will eat a bit during the day.
NicolaLloyd

Post by NicolaLloyd »

I have always been told to remove their bowl if they are not eating from it - so leave a period of say 20 mins for your dog to eat and then remove the bowl if they move away from it. From what I've gathered this reinforces to the dog that you are the leader, and you are in control of food. If in a pack, when a dog leaves his food, another dog will take it. That way the dog is less likely to leave his food and will eat it up while he has the chance!! I felt mean doing it at first but now my dog will eat his food straight away.

I know that a lot of people only feed their dogs once a day however as yours is still quite young I should imagine that more frequent smaller means would be the ideal. Perhaps you can try the above for a couple of weeks and see if this makes any difference? But i'm no expert, just going from what I've picked up along the way! :oops: