Thank you!

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

bendog

Thank you!

Post by bendog »

This should probably be in "success stories" but thought the appropriate people might be more likely to see it here. Feel free to move once you have read it emmabeth!

Just thought I would send a little thank you to the board in general, and emmabeth and nettle in particular. I can't remember which one of you (probably both of you actually!) always says "instead of focussing on what you don't want your dog to do and show them what you want them to do instead" but just thought I would say thank you because it is something easy to forget, and is so simple but it really works!

Poppy and Charlie were driving me mad lately trying to dive out of the car whenever we arrived anywhere for a walk. They used to climb over me to get to the door, and push their way out as soon as it was opened. I have no idea why but I had just been putting up with this, instead of doing anything about it (except maybe muttering to myself "for gods sake dogs let me get out first!"). I guess maybe it just didn't seem a big deal, but it was annoying, and dangerous if we were near a busy road.

And one day recently it occured to me that I didn't actually have to put up with it. And that piece of advice came into my head, and I thought, wouldn't it be nice if they stayed and waited for me to tell them they could get out. So I started asking for a stay before I opened the door, and it actually worked! And I have no idea why I didn't just think to do that in the first place! And after a few days I didn't even have to ask them to stay anymore, they just do, and wait to be released. And it is lovely :D

So thank you!
gwd

Re: Thank you!

Post by gwd »

bendog wrote:And one day recently it occured to me that I didn't actually have to put up with it.
silly isn't it. I had that very same moment of clarity a few years ago when boy dog was about 7 months old. I only wear tennis shoes when i'm going on a walk. it didn't take my little cherub long to make that connection. he would mob me, climb on my head, and generally be a pita when I was trying to tie my laces. then one day I said to myself, 'you're an idiot!' and I realized i'd spent hours training a reliable 'wait' and proofed it under all sorts of conditions........only to forget to take advantage of all of that hard work in real life situations!

I had to remind my son of the same thing the other day when he was complaining about the dogs trying to rush the door when he was leaving. after a few minutes of his tirade about how it p*ssed him off, I asked, 'did you ask them for a 'back'? a 'sit'? a 'wait'???? his sheepish look was answer enough. :lol:

sometimes we all forget to use the training we've invested so much time in!
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Sometimes we are soooooo busy doing, worrying, getting stressed (over threshold!) that we really struggle to stop and THINK. I know I do it all the time and then I realise and think DOH, why didn't I just....

I can't remember which of us it was so I'll pass your thanks on to Nettle if she hasn't read this - she is currently on crate rest after having duffed an arm up, I think she was proooooobably sky diving or bungee-jumping or wing-walking, something like that... not allowed to get excited and jump around at the moment. Hopefully Mr Nettle is providing her plenty of stuffed Kongs and destruction boxes... *I have to go into hiding now for these remarks*
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
jodieohdoh

Post by jodieohdoh »

I second that emotion!

I was thinking the other day Emmabeth and Nettle should produce a little keyfob thing with lots of buttons on it, when you push each button it shouts a little catchphrase at you from their repertoire :wink: :mrgreen:
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Ooh, Nettle's not been punching someone from the dominance school again, has she? :shock: I hope she's fully functioning again soon.

It was a revalation to me when I realised that all I had to do to stop Jasper belting upstairs after me and wrapping his front legs round me :shock: when I went for a pre-walk wee was put him in a down stay at the bottom of the stairs - and it meant I could reward him too :lol: Nothing annoys me more than hearing OH or the boys moaning at him to stop doing something and shouting 'No!' when they could simply ask for an alternative behaviour.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Flyby

Post by Flyby »

Just to keep you motivated Bendog, there's a 'gun' who turns up at pheasant shoots, who arrives, opens the back door of the Range Rover. On command by individual name, he gets his gun dogs out one by one, who jump out and dutifully trot behind him and come to heel sitting waiting for a command.
Its very impressive, but not for me. Its a weakness I'm sure, but I quite like a little bit of hoodlum in my dogs.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Flyby wrote:Just to keep you motivated Bendog, there's a 'gun' who turns up at pheasant shoots, who arrives, opens the back door of the Range Rover. On command by individual name, he gets his gun dogs out one by one, who jump out and dutifully trot behind him and come to heel sitting waiting for a command.
Its very impressive, but not for me. Its a weakness I'm sure, but I quite like a little bit of hoodlum in my dogs.
I once heard of a case where a dog walker let all her dogs pile out of her van and in the melee, one got caught on something in the car interior, tore her flesh, and screamed. A number of the other dogs reacted instinctively by attacking her and killing her. The person recounting this, who had several dogs herself, also calls them out of her car one by one - and that's why.

Sorry Amy, that's a bit of a downer for your positive thread, but thought it worth mentioning :D
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
bendog

Post by bendog »

Flyby wrote:Just to keep you motivated Bendog, there's a 'gun' who turns up at pheasant shoots, who arrives, opens the back door of the Range Rover. On command by individual name, he gets his gun dogs out one by one, who jump out and dutifully trot behind him and come to heel sitting waiting for a command.
Not at that standard, but I have done some name recognition stuff with them and can do it from a stay outdoors as well. http://youtu.be/JSMpyekdA2U
Not tried it in the car yet, hadn't even considered it! Another example of not seeing the obvious applcations of the training we do!

Judy, thankfully I rarely need to transport dog walking clients dogs in my car, if I do, they are seperated from my dogs because I have nightmares of a dog fight kicking off in the car. I tend to let my lot pile out, but always get clients dogs out one at a time.
Flyby

Post by Flyby »

I treat dogs, both my own or other people's, getting out of vehicles as a heightened anxiety moment. Its like unfamiliar dogs meeting on a narrow path where they are bound to pass too close for each others comfort. Getting out a vehicle with other dogs in close proximity is a potential flashpoint.
I've often wondered why, because there's no obvious 'sucker punch' advantage which can start a scrap, but the most logical explanation is exiting a vehicle deposits dogs near to each other but denies them the body language of the approach. The dogs are already in each others faces before being able to size each other up.

I should also qualify hoodlum nature of my dogs. They don't misbehave, but enjoy their excitement and enthusiasm for walk time and getting to the start. Its a moment of joy I don't want to 'train' out of them. I just need to be careful as I open the door.