I've started doing dog photography!

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

katej215

Re: I've started doing dog photography!

Post by katej215 »

Minkee just wondering whether if would be a viable proposition, if a couple of us from a similar(ish) area got together at an agreed venue and hired you for a photoshoot -perhaps that way it would negate your travel costs?
minkee

Post by minkee »

Wonderful ideas and thank you for the support everyone :D

I think the reason this particular one got me worried was because he's listed as a 'trainer' at a certain rough-tough sounding dog school (not going to name names). I'm more hoping that HE doesn't start telling ME how my methods are wrong, than trying to change him :lol: I will definitely be memorising that "May I suggest" line, so thank you for that :)

You make some really great points about Pepper too, Scout is just the same with her 'serious face' for her ball. It will certainly be interesting and hard work getting to know and work with all sorts of different dogs. And of course I'll share the results here :D

I would love a 'positively photo shoot meet' - lets do it :D :D
rachel540

Post by rachel540 »

minkee wrote: I would love a 'positively photo shoot meet' - lets do it :D :D
Yes!! Lets do it! :D
Pictures of Pepper viewtopic.php?f=31&t=14364
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

minkee wrote:I would love a 'positively photo shoot meet' - lets do it :D :D

will it be making a west coast USA stop ?

those are some really good pictures.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Getting flattering expressions - buy yourself a rabbit squealer from a shooting/sporting goods supplier. They aren't expensive or difficult to use. Then you can make a soft noise that sounds like a rabbit in distress - guaranteed to put a keen expression on most dogs' faces! :wink:

Training philosophies - IMO when you are engaged to take photos it is not the time or place to enter into this kind of discussion no matter how keen we all are to help improve people's knowledge. If they want to find out more at the end of the session - great opportunity. If they don't want their dogs treated with food, it might be due to veterinary issues, so explore tactfully to see 'if we could make an exception just for the photos as I've found it works better than anything else'. Or else waggle or squeak a toy.

Otherwise you are going to waste time - and time is money - and also alienate a lot of clients - and they are your business now. Sometimes as professionals, we have to agree to differ, and the client does have the last word on how their dog is motivated. Ater all, none of us would be all that impressed with a photographer who was alpha and dominance and shouted commands at our (mystified) dogs :lol:

Just my opinion - you do as you wish :) - but I thought I'd say.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
minkee

Post by minkee »

I've made an executive decision to skip this one :) The 'friend of a friend' who knew them says she doesn't like him, is wary of him, and would steer clear. This backs up my gut feeling and so I'm going to listen to it and give it a miss. This is not to say that I'm anti-anyone-who-trains-that-way, just an instinct about this particular PERSON rather than the method.

AS this one is only asking for one of my 'portfolio building' (ie. free) sessions then I don't feel any obligation, and am going to pick some people that I do know over him.

Thank you again for all the help and suggestions :D
minkee

Post by minkee »

In case anyone was interested - I found a tactic that I like via a children's photographer. She says that she tells the parents that - for the duration of the session - their children can do no wrong. If they want to jump around, shout, throw rocks at her head, whatever, it's all OKAY. Because to get the best photos they have to feel free, at least for that short amount of time, from societal restraints and worrying and she definitely wants no tears or tantrums.

So I think that's something that I could use. That no matter what training style is used, it's irrelevant, for that session their dog can do no wrong. If there are any concerns or dangers (ie. recall) we will manage the situation to eliminate them (ie. long leads). That way, we can focus on having fun and getting nice relaxed photos of their dog.

I have a session soon with a dog you may recognise, so look out for that :D

In the meantime here's Breeze's sister who we met up with yesterday. Vogue!

jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

minkee wrote: Vogue!
looks more like blue steel to me :P

great pictures
Flyby

Post by Flyby »

If I had to take pictures of a CM Negative Reinforcement trainer, I would do it, send him the rubbish photo's and say "Sorry chum. Best I could do. Your dog just seems terribly sad and miserable about something, but here's my bill". You have to show these trainers who's boss even if you have alpha roll them a couple of times...
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

minkee wrote:In the meantime here's Breeze's sister who we met up with yesterday. Vogue!
This reminds me of Tim Flach's work :D http://www.timflach.com/
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
minkee

Post by minkee »

:D

I thought you might enjoy a couple more pictures, though we're delving into cat and pig territory here, too!

Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

Beautiful.
That's a serious looking cat :lol:
Flyby

Post by Flyby »

I have nightmares about hamsters. Don't we Odin?
Erica

Post by Erica »

Oooh, that guinea pig picture is adorable!
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
minkee

Post by minkee »

I'm sure Odin could handle a hamster :lol:

That was the first time I'd seen guinea pigs up close, seriously cute! :shock: weekweekweekweekweek