My dog got into a fight yesterday - please advise.

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Noobs

My dog got into a fight yesterday - please advise.

Post by Noobs »

Please bear with me as this may be lengthy.

Yesterday I took my Murphy to the dog park, where he visits 2-3 times per week for the past 5 weeks, and has regular playmates. Toward the end of our visit, a Spaniel (possible mix) was playing with a tennis ball. This Spaniel had growled at dogs for trying to take toys he was playing with, so we think he has possessive issues. A third dog tried to take the tennis ball and the Spaniel growled and tried to bite her, and thus dropped the tennis ball out of his mouth. Murphy came over and tried to pick up the ball, and the Spaniel barked and tried to bite him. Murphy lay down and whimpered and the dog grabbed one of his hind legs in his mouth and a fight ensued. We were eventually able to pull the dogs apart and made them lay down until they got calm. I believe I made a mistake - I couldn't get Murphy to lie down right away so I bribed him with a treat (I myself wasn't calm at this point and was desperate to try anything). He lay down and I actually got him to lay all the day down including his head resting on the ground. He was panting but seemed to calm down. I let him back up - and probably too soon, which is another mistake on my part - and the other owner still had hold of her Spaniel in a sit possition. Murphy went up to him and nipped his cheek, and off they went again, growling and trying to bite each other. We separated them again and once again I tried to bribe him to lay down.

I am not sure how the other owner calmed her Spaniel down, but I do know that when my partner tried to separate the dogs at first, the Spaniel reached up and nipped her in the arm. When the chaos died down, the Spaniel's owner said "Are you okay? I saw those teeth and I thought I'm not putting my hand in there!" I mean, come on - if your dog is in a fight, you can't just let him keep fighting because you're afraid of putting your arm in!

But I digress. After we separated the dogs the second time and got them to calm down, both we and the Spaniel's owner leashed our dogs and left the park. As far as I can tell, there was no hostility from the other owner, and we weren't rude to her either. We just chalked it up to unfortunate circumstances and we needed to get our dogs out so it wouldn't escalate further.

In the two months we've had him, Murphy hasn't been aggressive toward dogs or people. Twice he got into mild scuffles when his leash got tangled with another dog's leash during the time we were beginning to socialize him. But he doesn't bark at other dogs - usually just passed them by if they started barking at him. He plays rough at the dog park and other dogs play rough with him and all the owners are fine and encourage the dogs to teach each other bite inhibition. They usually play bite and jump all over each other but no one ever growls or snarls - only the occasional yelp when a dog goes too far. So something like this has never happened before.

On our way home he met another dog and was excited to meet him. When he started barking at Murphy, Murphy just trotted away. He didn't seem to be carrying any upset feeling around from the incident (like his mommies were).

My question is: Is Murphy going to be okay to take to the dog park tonight? I don't want him to be fearful of it, and I don't want him to associate a fight/scuffle with "no more dog park". Also, I am going to keep an eye on him, that's a given. But should I fear his becoming aggressive or fearful? Would one incident like that change his personality?
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Sounds as if he'll be fine, but some owners needs a bit of training :wink:

If a dog has something and your dog wants it, you should not let your dog go over and take it.

If the dog with the something has already warned one or more dogs off, your dog should be kept well away by whatever means you have.

This skirmish could have been prevented if the spaniel's owner, the other dogs' owners and yes, Murphy's owner :D had read the situation and moved their dogs away from potential conflict.

Or to put it a human way - if I'm walking in the park and you try to take my handbag, I'll get violent. If you try to take my handbag after I've seen off two other people who are trying to take my handbag, I may well over-react.

Make sense??

Dogs will be dogs, but owners have to be ahead of the action and take steps to prevent an interchange that so far as dogs are concerned is perfectly reasonable.

And never ever get your hands in a dog fight. You may get so badly bitten that your hands will never function again.
Ry

Post by Ry »

This is a tough one. I suppose it depends on the dog. Like humans, they have their own personalities and mindsets...I have no idea how he will react. If he was calm and controlable with other dogs after the fight, I'm sure that's a good sign, but as of this moment, I have no idea how this is going to play out. Sorry. My guess is to just keep a close eye on him for any changes in behavior or mood. That could be a sign, but even then, you can never be too sure.
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Yes, I concede that I should have watched that play out and moved in faster to prevent Murphy from trying to take the tennis ball when the Spaniel was already possessive. But you know when things happen really fast, you do what you can.

I just wanted to know if anyone thinks it's a bad idea to bring him back to the park this soon, and if Murphy is at risk for being aggressive after this incident. And as I said, I am going to watch him closely to make sure this doesn't happen again. Thanks for the replies.

Also - we were trying to grab the dogs' collars to stop the fight. Anything else we should have done instead?
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Oh yes, we all know how quickly things can happen :D there's not one of us who hasn't been behind the action at some time. So treat this as a learning experience and you'll be a lot quicker next time.

Also, having parted two skirmishing dogs, don't make yours lie down or give any command because he may well be attacked again by the other dog (or attack again, as you found). Put him on the lead and take him clear of the combat zone. When you are sure the other dog is secured as well, you can chat with the owner.

Important to realise these were just dogs being dogs. without being there I can't judge, but from what you said, back to the dog park as soon as possible is a great idea - just keep in touch with what is happening from now on :lol:

Stopping a fight advice depends on the ferocity of that fight. Most dog fights are largely noise and spit (did anybody actually get bitten with blood drawn when yours had his set-to?). I can't advise without seeing the fight!

But what I recommend is dropping your coat over the dogs' heads, and as soon as they part, get yours behind you not with commands but by getting between them with your body, and driving the other dog back by barging them apart. The body-slam is how a third dog will break up a skirmish, too. Do not say anything and certainly do not shout or shriek. Keep absolutely silent.

However this carries a risk of being bitten and it is up to you to assess that risk because none of us can advise. It is better to be bitten on the leg than the hands but better yet not to be bitten at all.

When two warring dogs part is a very dangerous time, and you must be pro-active in not letting them get back together. If however they are just having a spat, they are usually more than pleased to be parted and taken away.

Much better to always be on the alert and keep your dog away from any potentially combative situation.
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Thank you, that is very helpful. Unfortunately no one had coats as it is June after all :wink: but body-blocking will be better for next time. And I will DEFINITELY remember not to put him in a down and just take him away on the leash instead.

It actually wasn't just noise and spit - I found two small bloody spots (hind leg and shoulder) after we got home and I was cleaning the dog park dirt off him. I'm not sure if there was any damage to the Spaniel.

I'm planning on bringing him back tonight as long as it doesn't rain, and be super careful. I plan on telling the other dog owners about the incident and thankfully many of the "regulars" are understanding and I suspect they will watch everyone closely.
MaiasMom

Post by MaiasMom »

I think if anything both of you should have moved your dogs away rather than keep them that close.

It seems to me Murphy just wanted to play with the ball but after the other dog went for him he decided avenge himself. My dogs do it all the time. Not to the point where they get into a fight, just one of them has to have the last word.

If Murphy is not dog agressive there is no reason to deny him the pleasure of the dog park.
Just keep an eye out and thing should be fine.
The best days are spent with my dogs.
i_are_chanel

Post by i_are_chanel »

I think you should be okay taking him to the park. But if the spaniel shows up, you may want to take extra caution. Dogs are smart. Your dog will probably remember this spaniel and will remember their spat.

My pup Charlie got chased and rolled in the dirt a week ago by a bigger dog. Yesterday this dog came to the dog park shortly after we arrived and Charlie went nuts. He barks when dogs enter the gate, but I read it to be more of a friendly bark....its like he's saying "HEY! Hey you! who ARE you?" But that bark he started up when this dog walked in was one of fear and anger. I probably should have left.....but we hadnt been there but 5 mins and Lexi, my other dog, really needed to socialize. I learned later from another dog owner that Brady (the dog who chased him) was not a very nice dog. His owner doesnt help. She laughed when she saw Charlie's reaction to Brady.
Lexi-3/4 golden retriever + 1/4 black lab. Bday Dec 1st 2007.

Charlie-long haired chihuahua + dauchsand + papillion. Bday Feb 29th 2008.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Echo Nettles good advice here..

As soon as you have your dog away from the other dog, lead on keep it loose though and briskly move off away from the other dog and change the subject, go and do something positive and nice.

Dont hang around and dwell on what has happened by keeping the dogs in the same space (and if this is unavoidable, make sure they are NOT made to stay face to face).

Asking any command such as down or sit of a dog immediately after the fight and still in the presence of the other dog is likely to make the dog feel more vulnerable which could increase the chances of them wanting to dive back into the fight.. or the other dog thinking 'ha...' and leaping on them.

As for seperating a fight - again, staying silent which is HARD is really really important. Yelling and shouting and screaming will only make things worse.

Generally speaking, kicking and hitting is not helpful either.

I wouldnt recommend anyone to dive into a dog fight to break it up.... but I wouldnt stand by and watch two dogs hell bent on killing one another and do nothing either...

That said... *I* stick my body parts into a dog fight fully expecting to get bitten and it is irrelevant to me which dog bites me, my dogs saftey is more important than anything else. To this end I have got involved in dog fights and i am extremely lucky that i have only got one small scar to show for it... dog bites that occur in fights are liable to do extreme damage to soft human skin, in fact the worst injury i have ever had came from not the sharpness of the teeth of the dog that bit (in fact my padded coat sleeve wasnt torn or cut in anyway).. but the pressure of the bite combined with the twisting/pulling i did to remove my arm... (and that wasnt in a fight, that was a dog systematically taught that theres no point growlinga t humans they steal your stuff regardless so its better to bite them!)

If you value your hands or face, I definately do not recommend getting anywhere near the pointy ends of any dog in a fight, no matter whose it is!

The best thing to do is to watch other dogs and be prepared... once you know your own dogs tendancies, watch other people and those people who are seemingly clueless about their dogs behaviour and intentions, avoid like the plague!

Oh... and I definately wouldnt recommend trying to steal Nettles handbag! :lol: *scary*
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

This was sort of an old post, but I just wanted to give an update.

Murphy continued to go to the dog park and we only stopped last week because it's getting too dark too early. We will have to settle for going on weekends only at this point in the year.

There have been other spats but my reaction time has been so much faster these days, and I do watch his body language as well as the other dogs'. Many of the regular owners are very quick as well, but for those owners who don't pay as much attention, well I have had to intervene a couple of times. For example, one really sweet but overly rambunctious dog kept running to Murphy and trying to get him to play, which made Murphy a little nervous, so I stood in front of Murphy and said "No!" very firmly to the other dog who left him alone. If I see him start to nip excitedly at a small dog, I say "Off!" very firmly and Murphy will turn away from the other dog (I nearly cried when he first responded to that!). In the event that he's gotten into the occasional spat, I confess I've tried not to be vocal but have said "Hey!" loudly a few times. If I had to, I stepped in with my leg and not my upper appendages and been able to stop the fight with no further incident. He gets leashed every time I new dog comes into the dog park so that they can meet properly first. Any dog that comes in who gives off the wrong vibe or goes for other dogs too fast without sniffing around first and we're out the gate with a cheery "let's go!"

So it's going really well. I thank you all for your advice.