why do dogs roll in_______?

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

maximoo

why do dogs roll in_______?

Post by maximoo »

insert your own answer, poo, grass,etc.

My friend's dog loves to roll in coyote poop! Why does she want to roll in it? Many dogs roll in the grass, or snow, but coyote poop? smh...

the other night Max threw up on the driveway then proceeded to rub his face in the adjacent dried up grass. At first I thought he was just rubbing his mouth after puking but then he decided to rub his whole body. Only other time he rolls in grass is when he's wet from a bath. It must have to do with instinctual survival skills?

Any ideas anybody?
JudyN

Re: why do dogs roll in_______?

Post by JudyN »

I've often wondered that.

Jasper doesn't roll in stinky things, thank goodness, but when he gets excited he rubs his face in the earth and sometimes goes for a full body-rub. He doesn't roll as such, just rubs his sides, probably because he's very narrow with a deep chest.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Nobody knows, but there are a few theories (that don't stand close scrutiny :wink: ).

We can safely say they do it because it's nice (to them) but why it's nice......?
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
minkee

Post by minkee »

Scout found half a coconut shell in the field the other night (???) and rolled in it like it was the best thing she'd ever found. I say 'in'.. over and around really. Strange dog!
runlikethewind

Post by runlikethewind »

Yes this has always interested me. The girl does it (fox and some cow poo) but the boy only did it when he was an adolescent. He doesn't do it now - ever.

It's very strange.