Started the adoption process

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Sarah83

Started the adoption process

Post by Sarah83 »

For the 3 and a half month old pup, Johnny. Hubby fell in love at first sight. I'm trying not to get my heart set on him as we have to have a home check and fill in the adoption papers and we may not get him. They've asked us to go back again tomorrow and spend some more time with him so that if we do get him we're not complete strangers to him, we have no problem with that. We're going to take the camera with us tomorrow and get a couple of pics, didn't think to take it today. Would appreciate crossed fingers for us please! :mrgreen:

I'm excited, scared and a little sad about the whole thing. Excited because...well, who wouldn't be? Scared in case I screw it up. And sad because if Rupert hadn't died we wouldn't be looking for another dog no matter how much we wanted one.
Suzette

Re: Started the adoption process

Post by Suzette »

I understand the mixed emotions, but nothing soothes a sore heart like having another creature that depends on you to nurture and love on. I hope the adoption process goes smoothly for you. Can't wait to see some pics! :D
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
thepennywhistle

Post by thepennywhistle »

Oh, that's wonderful! I'm sure it will go smoothly -- who couldn't love you as adopters!
I understand your mixed emotions there, but as Suzanne said, nothing provides a better
distraction for your missing your dear Rupert as much as a new creature in the house.
Not that it will lessen your thoughts of Rupert in any way, but hopefully shift into a more
happy mode. Rupert will be with you in everything you've learned and will now be applying
to the new one, helping right alongside you all the way.

Anyway, I hope this is a fun and happy day for you all, and we'll be sending positive vibes,
good karma, best wishes, prayers, and anything else that might seem useful from another
continent <G>
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Figers crossed it works out for you - what sort of dog is Johnny?

I often wonder, if/when we get another dog, having had a 'challenging' one, would I go for one pretty well guaranteed to be easy, or one with issues that I think I could help? I'm always drawn to dogs on rescue sites who look like Jasper but have a scared, unloved look in their eyes
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

Thanks all :mrgreen: The fact we live in a flat goes against us a bit for a puppy as he can't do stairs at the moment. It's only 5 stairs up to our flat and if I could carry a fully grown Rupert up 32 steps I'm sure I can carry Johnny up those 5 but it could certainly go against us for him.

Johnny is a cross breed of some sort apparently. I'll try to get a pic to show you guys and see what you think. I've been torn between dogs with issues and dogs without issues Judy. On the one hand I know they're going to be more difficult to find homes for and I'm capable of dealing with a lot of issues but on the other hand after almost 8 years of dealing with Rupes issues on a daily basis I'd like something a bit easier. And I want a dog who I'm not scared to take out and who is comfortable being taken out, poor Rupert was always so anxious except in wide open spaces where nothing could sneak up on him.
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

My fingers are crossed for you and Jack has his paws crossed as well.
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

Ooh exciting! I have everything crossed for you, and I have just told Dylan and he has a good feeling about little Johnny!!! :D
Horace's Mum

Post by Horace's Mum »

So excited for you!! I can understand the mixed emotions, but to add another thought into the mix, if you hadn't lost Rupert you wouldn't have space for another lost soul. I also understand the mixed thoughts about taking on another dog with issues - my next dog will definitely be a deaf puppy, non-negotiable. They are still lost souls but I have the chance to create a dog without issues if I can. The time after that I may feel up to coping with another problem dog, but I think sometimes we deserve a break too :wink:
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Great to hear you're getting another dog, Sarah! I can't wait to see pictures of it! :D
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
WufWuf

Post by WufWuf »

Good luck on the adoption, can't wait for some pictures.

I don't know if this will make any difference but having worked in a shelter I can tell you that there's no guarantees that a pup won't end up as an adult with issues if it's adopted out to someone who doesn't know what they are doing. A number will be returned to the shelter once they reach the year to 18 months mark as the new owners have not put in the work. Some will be returned even older then this for the same reasons.

Instead of adoting an adult dog who has issues you are preventing a pup from becoming that dog and from ever seeing a shelter again - I think they are both very valuable and little Johnny will be a lucky guy to get owners as experienced and caring as you.
Operant conditioning rocks but classical conditioning rules
bendog

Post by bendog »

^^ Yes exactly. I spent 2 weeks helping out at a shelter once and saw a puppy returned after only 2 days for jumping up and knocking a pack of crisps from a childs hand. In a way that was better as 8-12 week pups are generally easy to rehome. Many reach the year mark with their pups as WufWuf said, and then realise that their little puppy hasn't "grown out of" behaviours that need training to fix and return them.

Can't wait to see pictures of little Johnny and I hope you get him.