ducks!

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

maximoo

ducks!

Post by maximoo »

We have ducks in our neighborhood as I live in So FL. One day last week Max was loose(with leash dragging behind him) & he caught a duck had it pinned down & nuzzled his snout between the feathers & was nibbling the poor creature. I was able to quickly get him off the duck. Boy was he pissed! Anyway duck was not harmed as he did not actually bite it. I can't help but wonder if he would've killed the duck. I'm sure other dogs who catch ducks kill it very quickly but Max seemed more curious as to what this bird was like, how it smelled etc. Part of me wanted to let him do whatever he wanted as I was curious to see what he would actually do next but I didn't want to witness it if he took it to a level beyond nibbling. I mean there would've been bloody dead duck on my neighbor's lawn and a bloody dog face to clean, (eww!)
The duck was sllghtly smaller than Max.

Anybody have a dog that actually killed a duck? Did dog then eat the duck?

Tell your dog/duck stories here.
Ari_RR

Re: ducks!

Post by Ari_RR »

Some ducks are not to be messed with... Here is Ari's first encounter with a duck. Not sure who was the one in danger there :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBsNUuaP-Ts
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

Ari_RR wrote:Some ducks are not to be messed with... Here is Ari's first encounter with a duck. Not sure who was the one in danger there :lol:
That a goose Ari, he was wise to treat it with respect they can be nasty :shock:
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

My dogs catch ducks, albeit not often, and their job is not to kill the duck but to take it to me. Judging by their expressions, ducks taste disgusting :lol:

Gundog types (of which mine are not) are also supposed to retrieve ducks rather than kill and eat them.

A dog's reaction to a duck depends mainly on its breeding (the dog's not the duck's) and whether it has had to hunt its own food at any time.

It takes a brave dog to tackle a goose! Or a brave person, for that matter.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

Max never hunted before. He's a GS/Chow mix. He chases squirrels, cats, rabbits, but never hunted.
He would've definitely went after a goose too. Goose might teach him a lesson tho. lol...

If duck taste nasty msybe if he killed it & tasted it he would've left it. :?: :?
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

Jack thinks ducks are fun to chase...unless they don't run. then it confuses him and I get to hear him whining all the way home about how the ducks aren't following the rules and running etc, etc. it's really pathetic.
thepennywhistle

Post by thepennywhistle »

My JRT killed ducks, chickens, squirrels, and anything else she could catch, which was just about
everything -- she was FAST!

My German Shepherd was a gentle dog, but if something scared me, she'd kill it. Rats and such in the
stable were not a problem, but a rogue flock of geese came calling and decided they wanted to live in
my garage. They attacked me, and when Kate waded in to rescue me, they swarmed her too. I ended
up driving the 40 yards between the house and the stable for days due to fear of those winged stormtroopers,
with Kate in the bed of the truck. That was while I tried to figure out how to evict them, but nothing was
working. I told Kate to leave them alone in the meantime, which she did, until one snuck up behind me
actually IN the stable, and pinched me severely you-know-where. My scream sealed that goose's fate.
And one by one, she picked them off. I told her again to leave them alone, so she did it while I wasn't
watching and then hid the bodies, but it's hard to hide a large, decomposing goose in the Florida summer
sun for very long. (Bad Smelly!) It was a bad situation all around.

Agreed -- do not mess with the geese!
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

EWWWWWW!
bendog

Post by bendog »

We had an encounter with a swan yesterday. Took dogs up to my brothers since they live across the road from a huuuuggge park, and I have 2 brothers so it was 1 person/dog which was perfect. Brothers were all provided with treat bags and briefed on how encounters with other dogs should be managed - puppy and Sash allowed to say hello if other dog seems friendly, Ben kept out of way with squeaky toy, especially if other dog off lead. Unfortunately I forgot to include swan briefing!

Pup has no fear and got herself hissed at by a grumpy cygnet. Mum swan was on her way over (Dad swan was tragically killed by an out of control German Shepherd early in the year) so we got out of there sharpish. No way would I mess with a swan.