Podcast Problems?......

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Pol

Podcast Problems?......

Post by Pol »

Hi all,

I wasn't sure where to post this.... I've been trying to listen to the Podcasts the past couple of days and I don't know whether it's something I'm doing wrong or what.... but the Podcasts don't seem to "finish properly" - they seem to last for maybe 7 - 10 minutes and cut off abruptly.
I've tried downloading and playing in a new window. Is anyone else having a similar issue or does anyone know what's wrong/how to fix it?

Thanks!
dontpugme

Re: Podcast Problems?......

Post by dontpugme »

I haven't been having those problems lately, but when they first started, I had that issue for about a day. It hasn't happened since. Have you been streaming them from the website or listening on iTunes???
--dontpugme
Pol

Post by Pol »

I've been streaming from the website.... I guess I will give it a day or so and try again...

Thanks!
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

ah...streaming isn't "downloading". No need to wait, just try downloading the entire podcast file and then listening to the podcast.

Try clicking the "Download" option, rather than "open in new window". When asked if you want to "open in media player", don't click ok yet, chose the second option "save file".

Then go to where the file was saved and double click on it.

If you need additional help please let use know the following

Are you using Windows or a Mac
If Windows, are you using XP, Vista, or Windows 7
What Internet browser are you using? Microsoft Internet Explorer, Firefox, Google Chrome?
What Media Player are you using?
Which Pod Cast are you trying to listen to?

So the issue with streaming is it depends a lot on a really solid broadband connection. a couple things could cause what you describe.

1. not a large enough internet connection so it stops and starts as you listen to what has "downloaded" an now your waiting for more.
2. something disrupts the stream so it stops. technically even streaming there is downloading going on, so a corrupted partial download could be on your PC causing problems. generally a delete of temp files and internet cache will clear this up. though if you don't know how to do that, downloading the complete file as I describe above will work around this.
3. if it's a new POD cast and a lot of people are trying to download and or listen at the same time, server can get a bit overloaded. "weak" connections tend to get dropped in this situation and/or everything just "freezes"
Pol

Post by Pol »

Thanks for the advice/suggestions....

My husband reminded me of another problem that it could be. We recently moved from FL to WI to be closer to his parents - we don't have broadband/hi speed internet. We're using their internet which unfortunately has a 'cap' on it or such - apparently you can only download so much per month, or such....
So, I don't know, maybe I'm not able to do it because of the lack of internet right now....
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

Pol wrote:Thanks for the advice/suggestions....

My husband reminded me of another problem that it could be. We recently moved from FL to WI to be closer to his parents - we don't have broadband/hi speed internet. We're using their internet which unfortunately has a 'cap' on it or such - apparently you can only download so much per month, or such....
So, I don't know, maybe I'm not able to do it because of the lack of internet right now....
that would do it.

However, when you download the entire podcast file, the amount of data you download is less than if you stream it. this is because the file is compressed, but streaming is uncompressed. so if you have data download constraints of any kind, downloading the file verse streaming is the way to go.
Redwench

Post by Redwench »

I'm also having problems downloading any of the podcast on my ipad3 via my Internet AT&T), or using cell phone data on my iPhone 4 (Verizon). All of my software is up to date and I'm Abe to download other podcasts no problem. I get the same message unable to download. I've rebooted my devices, rebooted my router, closed all other apps. Gads. I don't know what I'm missing. Thank you in advance.

Redwench
Great Danes momma
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

Redwench wrote:I'm also having problems downloading any of the podcast on my ipad3 via my Internet AT&T), or using cell phone data on my iPhone 4 (Verizon). All of my software is up to date and I'm Abe to download other podcasts no problem. I get the same message unable to download. I've rebooted my devices, rebooted my router, closed all other apps. Gads. I don't know what I'm missing. Thank you in advance.

Redwench
Great Danes momma
Do you have an actual PC or Laptop you can try downloading the Pod cast to? This would eliminate or point to your iPad or iPhone.

is it any pod cast or a specific one?

It sounds like your trying to do this, but if not, I would strongly encourage you to download it completely, then listen to them rather than try and listen "streaming" style.