Article in the NY Post..

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

hellogoodfriiend

Article in the NY Post..

Post by hellogoodfriiend »

Just an article that I found in the NY Post on Feb 18th. Its about the most reported dog bites in New York City in the past year, and my little Shih Tzu breed is number three! lol I can't believe it!

Here is the original article: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/li_y ... ZArVFttI0J

Do you think that the people carting their dogs around in bags can have this effect? I work in the mall and I can't tell you how many people bring their dogs around...I feel terrible because these little dogs are usually shaking :? (there was once a 3 month Maltese being carried around in my store and the poor little thing looked just so tiny and fragile!) Mind you, there is a brand new show called "Doggie Moms" and its all about these people who pamper their little pooches like nuts! haha (Kind of like the woman that Victoria helped a few episodes ago) http://zootoo.nypost.com/petnews/doggie ... debut-1773

What do you guys think?
<3 teresa (:

"Happiness is a warm puppy" ~ Charles M. Schulz
Nettle

Re: Article in the NY Post..

Post by Nettle »

As a broad observation, I think people treat small dogs far worse than big ones. They pick them up, hug and squeeze them, carry them around, don't walk them, don't train them, and let children treat them like toys. This isn't meant to say everyone does, but a lot of people do.

Also to a small dog, the world can be very much bigger and scarier than to a big dog (lie on the ground and let people walk past really close to get the idea - and WE are BIG).

I say to people: If you wouldn't do it to a Rottweiller, don't do it to a small dog :lol:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
nightsrainfall

Post by nightsrainfall »

Nettle wrote:If you wouldn't do it to a Rottweiller, don't do it to a small dog
Can we add, "If you wouldn't let a Rottweiller do it, don't let a small dog" in too? I know soo many small dogs that were allowed to do things I consider poor behaviors solely because they "are cute and little".
- Anna

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."
~ Roger A. Caras
hellogoodfriiend

Post by hellogoodfriiend »

Haha! good points guys!
We can love our poochies, but not to the point where they can walk all over us! I couldn't agree with both of you more. (as I am yelling at my brother that he is enforcing negative behavior in my pup..haha)
<3 teresa (:

"Happiness is a warm puppy" ~ Charles M. Schulz
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I have a brother like that. He's 67 and I still can't train him :roll: how to act around animals.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS